Friday 18 November 2011

Journal: Lesson 1 and 2


This is my journal in which I will comment on my ideas and thoughts that I have on the work in which I underwent. In my journal I will be discuss what I found interesting and what I learnt during each lesson and comment on possible ideas which I could construct from new information which I learnt.

In the first lesson we were taught what a title sequence and their purpose in a film. I discover that a title sequences is a method used which cinematic films or TV programs present title, key production and the cast members, or both, utilizing conceptual visual and sound. I found this interesting because  I learnt that a title sequence is one of the most important thing in a film. This is because it provides the audience with an insight to what the film will be about. The reason in which this is one of the most important things in a film is down to it having to entertain the audience. If it doesn’t then the audiences won’t want to watch the film and leave before it has began. This means that it has to interest and appeal to all of their target audience. A title sequence is important because it introduces the genre to the audiences, provides the setting, informs the audiences of the atmosphere/tone and shows possible characters that will appear. As well as this we discover the codes and conventions of title sequences which are guide lines that the designers can follow when constructing theirs. I found learning about these interesting; this is down to when it comes to me constructing my own title sequence it gave me a number of things to include such as all the cast and crew to inform everyone who participated in  the making of it. Also that it has to be entertaining otherwise the audience will get bored.

In the second lesson we looked at existing title sequences and the use of typography. We began to analyse title sequences such as se7en and catch me if you can. As well as taking note of the uses of codes and conventions in these title sequences, we also analysed why certain thing are done. In se7en I discovered that the typography has been scratched/written, this could indicate that the genre crime as it could link to writing on a prison wall. Also the images through out the title sequence symbolises the genre. From Catch Me If You Can I discovered that the typography is fluid and it carries on to the next shot, this shows that everything is linked together. The typography used looked like it was constructed using a typewriter this indicates the time the film was set. I enjoyed and found looking at existing title sequences interesting this is because it provided me with ideas which I could put forward when creating my own title sequence. Another thing that I found interesting was that whilst analysing title sequences I found something common, this was that the sequence hinted and showed that audience a possible genre. So when producing my title sequence I will take this into account and try to use the codes and conventions that are necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment